Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit is a startup nonprofit organization located in Chicago, Illinois. The mission of Helping Youths Thrive is to provide a safe, comfortable, welcoming place for children and teens to go after school, on weekends, or whenever they need a place to socialize or seek counseling. Helping Youths Thrive will also provide certified and trained counselors onsite who are there to counsel or mentor children and teens who may need a safe person to talk with for whatever problems they may be experiencing. Medical, law enforcement, or social workers will be called upon if the counseling team deems it is necessary. Ultimately, Helping Youths Thrive Nonprofit’s mission is to help the underserved community of Chicago get the youth off of the street and provide a safe and welcoming place to go instead of having to go home by themselves or be forced to assimilate with local gang members or drug users.
Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit will be located in a low-income neighborhood of South Chicago where there is an abundance of youth attending the nearby seven public schools. The facility is a former warehouse that will be renovated and converted to a 10,000 square foot indoor facility with an adjacent basketball court and playground. All indoor and outdoor facilities will be closely monitored by security guards, counselors, and mentors.
The following are the services that Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit will provide:
- Tutoring; help with homework or school projects
- Area for homework and/or studying
- Board game and movie watching area
- Monitored playground and basketball court
- Counselors who are on hand ready to speak with kids who request counseling
- On-site nurse
Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit will target all youths attending the nearby public schools in the southern area of Chicago. The children will all be school age, from the ages of 4 – 17.
Tonya Jordan will be the Director of the nonprofit organization. Her Master of Public Administration degree and decades of nonprofit and charity work in Chicago make her an expert in running a nonprofit foundation. She fully understands the 501c3 requirements, grant requirements, and dedication it takes to make a charitable foundation sustainable. Tonya will also hire an Accountant to manage all donations and funding, payables, and payroll. She will also hire a Director of Fundraising to help with sponsor outreach and obtaining a steady stream of charitable gifts. There will be one social worker supervisor, security supervisor, and custodial supervisor to oversee their respective departments and teams.
Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit will be able to achieve success by offering the following competitive advantages:
- It will be the largest facility with more available hours for youths to hang out. It will be available before school, after school, weekends, and evenings.
- It will provide a team of counselors/social workers to provide free counseling for children that require it or request it.
- All youths in attendance will have access to healthy snacks and meals.
- The management team will work with proper authorities and/or child services to intervene in a familial situation if necessary.
- Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit will partner with the local public schools to act as a partner in education in order for every single student to thrive.
Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit is seeking $250,000 in debt financing to begin operations of the nonprofit. The funding will be dedicated towards securing the warehouse, adjacent lot space, and facility and playground build-out. Funding will also be dedicated towards three months of overhead costs to include payroll of the staff, rent, and working capital. The breakout of the funding is below:
- Securing warehouse space and adjacent empty lot, build-out, and design: $100,000
- Grant writer and 501c3 designation filings: $15,000
- Three months of overhead expenses (payroll, rent, utilities): $60,000
- Supplies, food, games, playground equipment, furniture: $65,000
- Working capital: $10,000
The following graph below outlines the pro forma financial projections for Helping Youths Thrive Non Profit.